Wednesday, August 30, 2006

December 10, 1975: Wednesday

Weather cloudy. It looks bad. We clean the lab. The H&N electricians come around to put in heaters to keep the x-ray room warm. I mail a letter and negatives home. Fifty-five cents.

We got all bundled up to go to Carapace. Scott Gordon called it off because of the weather. It’s rescheduled for tomorrow.

Dr. Treves and Emmett and Pat Hagarty went to Marble Point to pick up survival gear.

Kathy’s making arrangements for her expedition Friday, including two bottles of gin. Dr. Treves, Cal, and I bought wine for the party tomorrow night. First money I’ve spent on alcohol, $4.25 on my part. But it’s for a good cause.

Went to Scott Base to take back the sled and things. Kathy sent a telegram. Left my hat in the recreation room.

I’m not too worried about that, although I should be.

Got the paper. Des died. He was a good friend.

Letter from Mom and Dad. Pay checks are home, thanks to Mrs. Treves. I have $1092.95 in the bank. That’s an incredible sum. I’ll have to general register next semester. What a hassle.

Christmas Card and letter from Marilyn. Nice cozy letter. The card said something about friendship to cherish. I think she probably thought about it before she sent it.

And it makes me wonder.

And it makes me happy.

Took CosRay Doug out to his lab. We stopped by Scott Base to get my hat. He gave me an article on fluorocarbons and ozone. It’s always been my opinion that ozone in the atmosphere is an equilibrium phenomena and it will readjust. Its reaction rate and activation energy are the important things.

Weather looks bad. I do want to go tomorrow because Kathy won’t be able to go Friday. It’ll be her first real disappointment in Antarctica. I don’t want to go away from here leaving her in a gloomy mood.

Wrote a presentation for Henry’s Doovry. Cal wants to edit it because it’s not sarcastic enough. I’ve always preferred satire to sarcasm.

Today:
55¢ for postage
$4.25 for wine

No comments: