Friday, September 07, 2007

Go Big Red

Ken’s Story
In the fall of 1964 we went to Lawrence to a Kansas-Nebraska football game. Gale Sayers, a graduate of Central High School in Omaha and later a star back for the Chicago Bears, was playing that day. Also playing was a fullback, number 45 for Nebraska. He was Frank Solich, the Cornhusker’s future head coach.

In 1965 we went to the Nebraska-Texas Christian football game in Lincoln. Janice’s nephew, Butch Gilliam, played pulling guard for the Horned Frogs. Butch got six tickets as a player and sold them to his relatives. It surely was a “no-no” in those days as it is now, but was overlooked. In those days players got other perks, also. Butch reportedly drove a new Ford car every year while he was playing. It was leased to him but he never made a payment.

We got to go down on the field and visit with Butch before the game and he frightened us with his appearance. His front teeth had been knocked out earlier in the season so he had a partial plate put in. For the game, however, he removed the plate. When he faced his opponent across the line of scrimmage his menacing, no-teeth grimace was intended to intimidate.

TCU returned to Nebraska the next year we got to see Butch play again.

Sam’s Version
Nebraska just pasted TCU both years. This was at the start of Devaney Era at Nebraska. Dad says that college football schedules are worked out so many years in advance, that when these games were scheduled TCU was the power and Nebraska was the patsy.

The second TCU/Nebraska match was my first Nebraska football game. There is nothing in America quite like game day in Lincoln. The Sea of Red. It is so communal.

10 comments:

Tray said...

Butch was my high school coach....any contact info on him?

Anonymous said...

He was my coach too (at Corpus Christi Carroll, 82-84). Would love to catch up with him. Is still in Houston?

S. A. McCormick said...

I'm sorry. I do not have any contact information for Cousin Butch.

Anonymous said...

My dad, Allan Laurence, coached with Butch at Carroll and my father-in-law recently saw him at one of his stores in Gonzales, TX. I'd love to talk to Butch so if you get some contact info for him that would be great. I assume he lives in Gonzales still.

S. A. McCormick said...

My, there are a lot of people looking for Butch. Even if I had his contact information, I don't think that I would post it on the internet. Since none of you can find him on Google, I assume that he wants to keep information like that private.

Unknown said...

My dad resides in Gonzales, texas

Unknown said...

Yes, he still lives in Gonzales.

Unknown said...

He lives in Gonzales, texas

okc dude said...

Hi Sam, Robert is right, butch lives in Gonzales tx.

okc dude said...

This is Mike Gilliam.