Tuesday, September 04, 2007

More Ball Games

Ken’s Story
A news clipping from 1970 says Sam scored a defensive touchdown in Auburn’s 36-0 win over the Syracuse freshmen.

Sam’s Version
It was a fumble recovery in the second quarter, when the game was still rather close. Syracuse ran a sweep left. I met the running back near the thirty-five yard line, wrestled the football from him, grabbed the loose ball, and ran down the far side line to the east end-zone.

I also intercepted a pass that year against Falls City. I read the quarterback, dropped back a little and caught the ball over my head at the line of scrimmage. I thought I had a clear shot to the end zone, but before I could get up a head of steam, I was embarrassingly tackled from behind by a lineman.

Gee, dad, don’t you remember anything?

No comments: