Saturday, May 01, 2010

ACT ONE
Scene I. Peru, a Park.

[Enter three Peasants.]
1st Peasant. Good Duke Horatio today comes here to speak.
2nd Peasant. As I have heard. Much rumor accompanies him also.
1st Peasant. What rumor this?
2nd Peasant. That he will here announce the engagement of his son.
3rd Peasant. Rumors are fleet in such wood as these. 5
[Loud Alarum and Smoke.]
[Enter Grutilda, a witch.]
3rd Peasant. [Frighted.]
What evil appears on the wind?
1st Peasant. An undead spirit methinks it be.
2nd Peasant. No. ‘Tis garbed in rags and displays a broom.
3rd Peasant. This must be witchcraft then.
1st Peasant. It approaches. Let it cant. 10
Grutilda. The Duke shall speak to Peasant and Nobleman alike?
2nd Peasant. Aye, but not to Witch.
Grutilda. Be gone before I becurse your humbugged house!
[Exeunt Peasants, in haste.]
A ruler of rabble, Horatio.
Such sorry sort should not be found afoot. 15
[Enter Marcol, a clown.]
When, knave, does the Duke deliver his address?
Marcol. Within the hour, Madam. But why ask you?
Grutilda. Because I have business with that noble.
Now, knave, a nose for a nose. I presume
you are the good Duke’s private jester? 20
Marcol. I jest in Public, Madam. I am Marcol,
the Dukedom’s entertainer-in-chief
and master performer of tricks.
Grutilda. Mergatroids! A mere clown.
Marcol. Marginalia, yourself, Madam, a mere witch. 25
Grutilda. Not merely witch, but Grutilda Guttersnipe.
Marcol. Why, Madam, not the same Grutilda
who in bygone days did save my master,
the Duke of Nemaha, when he was but a lad.
[He kneels.]
Grutilda. You have heard Horatio mention me? 30
Marcol. Madam, my master speaks often of you,
in great kindness, too, despite your vocation.
The wind foretells that you’ve a message for my master.
Grutilda. That I have. A communication of acute consequence.
I anticipate much ado aroused at this. 35
Marcol. Madam, you tease my curiosity.
Impart to me your message.
Grutilda. ‘Tis not the time to reveal the grave report.
And not to you, knave. The world will wonder at my words.
[Exeunt.]

No comments: