Friday, April 30, 2010

Scene II. Peru, a Park, before a Platform.

[Enter Normalizovitch and Debrushka.]
Debrushka. Father, what chance does your scheme have?
Normalizovitch. Who can tell, dear Debrushka?
For our sake, I can only pray that our petition be heard.
Debrushka. But who else should be commissioned to supply the Duke’s
household with uniforms, robes of 5
silk and suits of golden thread?
No tailorship in this Duchy is superior
to yours, my father.
Who sews a finer garment? Who mends
a better tweed? Who repairs foot leather 10
with greater finesse? Surely the Duke will much
merit find in your system to clothe his staff.
Normalizovitch. I fear, child, your enthusiasm is uncurbed.
Many fine and fruitful tailors inhabit these parts.
I can only hope that the Duke has an appreciation 15
for my plan. May my ordered vision to
standardize the dress of each awarded rank
be married with an equally rewarding contract.
[Enter Divers Crowds and Attendants.]
Lo, Debrushka, a crowd approaches.
Let us stand close by the platform so as 20
to be well situated for an approach
to the Duke before another tailor brings suit.
Attendant. Way! Make way! The Duke appears this hour!
1st Peasant. Your Grace! Your Grace! A petition!
Attendant. The Duke hears no one, today. Stand aside! 25
[Flourish. Enter Horatio, Duke of Nemaha, and Eunomia, his wife.]
2nd Peasant. But your honor, the whole court is in need
of new wardrobes. I must present the Duke
a petition, an offer to construct
fine and well made garments.
Attendant. Enough! The Duke will see no petitioners now. 30
Horatio. [He mounts the platform.]
Goodness, the crowd grows large.
Eunomia. The rabble have come on rumor that you
have something of importance to say.
Horatio. The betrothal of our son is not of importance?
Eunomia. Not to these poor peasant and small town folk. 30
Though, they do love our son.
These crowds can neither plant nor hunt within
this preserve. They appear all with one hope,
that our son’s wedding will engage them in
some trade or service that will put meat or 35
bread on their plain family table. Take heed,
they will mob us as your address ends.
Crowd. Hush! Hush! The good Duke speaks!
[Flourish.]
Attendant. All hail Horatio, Twelfth Duke of Nemaha.
[The crowd kneels.]
Horatio. Arise, my children. I have traveled here 40
today to convey to you, my loyal
subjects in the City of Peru, pleasant
news of the engagement of my son to
a daughter of this fair village.
Her name is Praetoria. You know her, 45
of course, the daughter of Parkerson,
my Ranger for this park. He is
a man of good character as is
his daughter. Eduard and Praetoria
a fine couple will make. Much thanks 50
I extend to all who have heard this
announcement today. You are all invited
to attend the wedding.
1st Peasant. That was short.
3rd Peasant. This speech is a small formality. 55
He comes to the House of Parkerson to
seal the pledge ‘tween Eduard and fair Praetoria.
[Alarum and Smoke.]
[Enter Grutilda and Marcol.]
Marcol. What? The crowd pays no heed to our entrance.
Grutilda. They press upon the Duke and ignore my
dread smoke and alarum. 60
Stand aside, I say, big business have I
with the Duke.
Normalizovitch. Stand aside yourself. What business
is more important than mine?
A living must I make. 65
Grutilda. Bah, bumpkin. And I must make lives. Aside, I say.
Together. Your honor, a word!
Horatio. This is most confining. Attendants, please
disperse this crowd.
Grutilda. Horatio, dear, do you not dare to face your fate? 70
Horatio. Grutilda! Over many years I have
pondered the promised message of
your next return. Tonight at my palace,
I will receive you privately.
[Exeunt Horatio, Eunomia, and Attendants.]
[Exeunt Grutilda and Crowd, diversely.]
Normalizovitch. Alas, dear Debrushka, the Duke retires 75
and hears no petitions. I’m afraid that
his retinue shall remain in fashion
purgatory. At least no other tailor
could grab the good man’s ear. Perhaps we still
have chance to sell my portfolio. 80
Debrushka. Perhaps not. He returns to his palace.
Who will allow us to petition him there?
Marcol. Why linger about? The Duke has made his speech.
Or are you groundskeepers? Get on with it
and dispose of all this litter. 85
Normalizovitch. I wish it were my work. Such simple toil
would feed my daughter and myself.
Marcol. A fair lass. How old is she?
Normalizovitch. Too young for you, scoundrel. Must you trouble
a weary old man’s worry for his daughter? 90
Marcol. It’s not trouble I mean to bring. ‘Tis mirth,
not worry, I imply. A pleasant “good day”
to Peasant and his daughter is all I signify.
Normalizovitch. What are you, then? A clown?
Marcol. Aye, the Duke’s very own. 95
Debrushka. I could not tell. Your rank or degree at
court is hidden by this ill-fit costume.
In fact, the good Duke’s entire household is
bereft of any wit in fashion sense.
Marcol. I have myself observed these clownish clothes 100
and wondered what discount cataloguer
supplies my master and his court. But why
should this be of concern to you, pretty
little friend?
Debrushka. My father is the finest tailor in this duchy. 105
Marcol. Indeed.
Normalizovitch. My Debrushka is an over eager
child. However, her boast is not jest.
I posses the skill to fill the palace
with all that is modern and chic. 110
Marcol. Debrushka. A name as fair as the face.
And yours, sir?
Normalizovitch. Normalizovitch, at your service,
clown-dressed-like-a-fool.
[He bows.]
Marcol. Marcol, sir. 115
[He bows.]
Russian, I surmise. A fine
breed for a foolish old tailor, he said
stereotypically. Let not the world
say that Marcol is not friend to all tribes.
I shall leave your name with Horatio. 120
Before the week is out, expect to be
called unto the Palace at Nemaha.
Normalizovitch. Oh, thank you, sir. You are a man worthy
of a splendid wardrobe. Thank you, a thousand times.
Debrushka. Oh, yes! The duke will not regret 125
the employment of my father. Thank you.
[Exeunt Normalizovitch and Debrushka.]
Marcol. That lass at court will be delight. A superior
accessory for any occasion,
no matter how her father sews.
[Exit.]

No comments: