Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Scene II. Nemaha, the Palace, an hallway.

[Enter Constantine.]
Constantine. So here I’ll stand, before this bright suit of
armor. And here I’ll wait until she passes
this way. Now that I have a free hand to
speak to her, I might by means tell
Praetoria what here in my heart lies. 5
[Enter Debrushka.]
Hello, Debrushka. Is the Duke fitted?
Debrushka. He is fitted fine. As are the Duchess,
her maidservant, and that stupid clown.
However, it will take several long
months to complete the order. 10
Constantine. Excellent. Then several long months will
you remain at court. But, with you here, the
months will seem by half too short. Have you
and Eduard spoken since your swing in
the garden? 15
Debrushka. The Duke’s son has shown great kindness to this
tailor’s daughter. But, no, why should have he?
Constantine. Debrushka, I speak frank when I say that
Eduard has fallen in love with you.
In his eyes I see and in his voice I hear, 20
that which is unmistakable.
Debrushka. Do not joke, Constantine. He is formally
engaged to my friend, Praetoria.
Constantine. And I am in love with my best friend’s
fiancée! 25
Debrushka. What sort of lop-sided triangle is
thus entangled when former pledges fail?
Constantine. A father’s pledge does not compel the
daughter’s heart. And soon the time will ripen
to inform the Duke that this pledge has been 30
disengaged. And that fair Praetoria
is fair game for this noble but
impoverished suitor.
Debrushka. What? Am I to be used as a wedge?
Am I a machine, a common cleaver, 35
a crude device to drive the sharp spike of
doubt through the heart of this engagement?
To be, Camilla-like, the whispered butt of
public and parental rebuke for the
unhappy ending to an unwanted 40
fairy tale? To be your cover to woo
what Eduard would otherwise wed?
Constantine. No, no, no, no. Ask Praetoria!
[Enter Eduard.]
Confirm from her that though they were playmates
at an early age, they will never be 45
soulmates at any stage.
Better, yet, ask Eduard himself.
Debrushka. I should not be so forward.
Eduard. Allow me then, fair Debrushka to make
a pass at it. 50
[Exit Constantine.]
Debrushka. Hello, my lord.
Eduard. Do not call me that. Call me Eduard.
When my father first did announce to all
Peru that her favorite daughter would
I marry, I also knew that all of 55
Praetoria’s friends would be thrilled, in full
vicarious fashion, for her good fortune.
But it is not enough to enthrall ones
friends, or please ones parents. “To thine
own self be true” goes the old song. 60
In truth, I like, admire, and adore your
Praetoria. But it is you, Debrushka,
I love. Praetoria and I agreed to part
before you and I met. And I am glad
for it, as I can hardly hold my heart 65
in quiet rhythm after pleasant words
you and I first exchanged.
Debrushka. How does that old song go?
Eduard. Hmmm. “Neither a borrower nor a
lender be. Do not forget, stay out of debt. 70
Think twice and take this good advice from me,
guard that old sovereign, see.
And just one other thing that you should do,
to thine own self be true!”
[Exeunt.]

No comments: