Wednesday, April 14, 2010

ACT FIVE
Scene I. Nemaha, the Palace, a garden.

[Enter Marcol, reading.]
Marcol. “Noses are red and sneezes are blue
If spring is in bloom, then I love achoo.”
A fair poem. She will like it.
[Enter Cleonastra.]
Or maybe she would prefer,
“Happiness doth come to me 5
ever whence you, my eye doth see.”
Cleonastra. Observe, the clown quotes secret poetry
for my account.
Marcol. Pace now and gain courage, clown, before this
bright pearl, this most beautiful world, is too 10
soon discovered. Now for the hardest part.
A pretty verse is voiced with confidence,
but a promise sought is swallowed in a
cold sweat of apprehension. So, Marcol,
say it. “Beautiful girl, will you marry me?” 15
Louder, boy, she won’t hear that. “Will you
marry me?” Still too weak. Courage, Marcol.
Do not mumble. Open your eyes and say
it face to face. Will you marry me?
Cleonastra. Of course. I thought you’d never ask! 20
Marcol. Oh. But you’re not… I am had.
Cleonastra. And I am happy to have you after
many longing years from this dreaming heart.
Marcol. Good grief. Oh, well. A wife is a wife and
better than no life without any wife. 25
And anyway, Cleonastra, you are more
suited to my temper.
Cleonastra. And I to your fashion.
Marcol. Away, good wife!
Let’s engage a preacher. 30
[Exeunt.]

No comments: