Sunday, April 18, 2010

ACT FOUR
Scene I. Nemaha, the Palace, a terrace.
[Enter Horatio, Eunomia, and Cleonastra.]
Horatio. I am glad this tragedy’s end is near
at hand. My mind flows in calmer channels.
Now, dear wife, I shall explain to you the
madness of my reason, if you feel up
to the challenge of its telling. 5
Eunomia. The chicken soup has quite revived my distress.
Please do explain why you bound and gagged
our only son.
Horatio. A night ago, sweet Eunomia, I
was visited by a witch, Grutilda 10
her name, who once did save my life. Here at
the Palace she foretold of your illness,
saying that it was murder, and murder
by our son, Eduard. When you were fell
swoon, the miserable witch’s oath seemed 15
true. I did fear our son had poisoned you.
At this my sanity fled.
Eunomia. A momentary distress. Bowelled over,
so to speak. I do not think it witch’s
brew that sent me ill. 20
Cleonastra. Most certainly, the egg salad, my Lord.
Horatio. Or, the spell, perchance, was improper cast.
Eunomia. Whatever. I am refreshed by the terraced
breeze.
Horatio. So let us return to this day’s business. 25
Down the April Hall lies the
antechamber of our duties.
[Exeunt.]

No comments: