Saturday, April 17, 2010

Scene II. Nemaha, the Palace, an hallway.
[Enter Eduard, Constantine, Parkerson, and Praetoria.]
Constantine. As your father’s humor has been restored
so has my appetite. Perhaps we can stop
by the kitchen on the way to your good
mother’s terrace.
[Enter Marcol, Normalizovitch, and Debrushka.]
Debrushka. Dear father, what will you say to him? 5
Normalizovitch. I hesitate to know. I can only
trust my God to loosen my tongue. It has
inconveniently been swallowed by a
dry and parched throat.
Eduard. And what have we here, clown? 10
Marcol. The tailor Normalizovitch and his
daughter Debrushka.
Debrushka. Praetoria!
Praetoria. Debrushka!
Constantine. Eduard! 15
Eduard. Constantine!
[Enter Horatio, Eunomia, and Cleonastra.]
Parkerson. Kids.
Marcol. Why, good madam, you perambulate
most beautifully down this hall. You have
managed to full recover without my most 20
useful medicine.
Horatio. A pharmacist, too? What medicine might
you compound?
Marcol. Laughter, sir. It is the best.
Horatio. Good subjects all, this hall has drawn a crowd. 25
I pray you have not come to hear this clown’s
middling jokes.
Marcol. But, Sire, no joke. I have returned on the
errand you gave me this very morning.
Horatio. What errand is that? 30
Marcol. To find you a talented tailor.
Eunomia. Is this him? He is most splendidly dressed.
Normalizovitch. Normalizovitch, madam. And for you,
Sire, it would splendid be to dress your court.
Horatio. And you, Praetoria, here with you is a friend 35
I have not met. A bridesmaid, I may wager?
Eduard. No, sir. This is Debrushka, the tailor’s
daughter.
Eunomia. They are well contrasted, Parkerson. I
can picture it. The brunette bride in white 40
encircled by a court of blondes all dressed in
pale blue.
Parkerson. Praetoria has, my lady, a thousand friends
but as yet, not one bridesmaid.
Eunomia. No fear, Praetoria, I do not mean
to interfere, merely daydream. 45
Horatio. This talk, it seems, has made Debrushka a
tad uncomfortable. We should wish her
welcome without any obligation
on Praetoria’s part.
Debrushka. Your cordiality, Duke, is unexpected. 50
I have never before been presented
to such noble honors and am at a
loss to comprehend my proper etiquette.
Eduard. You are doing fine, Debrushka. Perhaps
it would set you more at ease if you 55
became better acquainted with the grand
architectural features that combine within
one Palace our residence and our seat
of government.
Debrushka. Oh, please, I would love a tour. 60
Eduard. This is the April Hall. It is, of all
the Halls, my favorite. Tapestries of
gold and green. Sweet urns filled with garden
flowers. A carpet soft and polka dotted.
[Exeunt Eduard and Debrushka.]
Constantine. Praetoria, am I not mistaken 65
that you could use some refreshment. A nice
glass of lemonade? From the kitchen?
Praetoria. Oh, quite. I am fair parched.
Constantine. And perhaps I might score a slice of
pastrami. 70
[Exeunt Constantine and Praetoria.]
Horatio. What just happened here?
Marcol. Why, Duke, you have met your maker.
Cleonastra. Of fine suites, he means.
Marcol. And his daughter. And your son… and…
Normalizovitch. I have taken the liberty, Sire, to lay 75
out in the throne room a pattern for each
of the rank and privilege that I think would
best display the order and sensibility
of a well tailored court.
Eunomia. I am excited. To the throne room, or 80
should I say “dressing room,” let us go.
Horatio. But I hate trying on clothes.
[Exeunt.]

No comments: