Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Scene VI. Nemaha, the Palace, a throne room.
[Enter Aufenkamp and Aulterbach.]
Aulterbach. A half day here and all we’ve seen is a
pastrami sandwich and a slice of dill.
Aufenkamp. The kitchen was as deserted as this
hall, once Cleonastra rushed out at the
call of her mistress, our aunt. 5
Aulterbach. A clash, a clatter, hurried footsteps
overhead, ghosts and goblins running about
and yet no sign of kith and kin.
[Enter Eduard.]
Here is one now, half flesh and all pale.
Aufenkamp. ‘Tis no zombie, but our cousin, a much 10
affrighted Eduard.
Eduard. My limbs grow wearisome evading that
mad man. He has chased me from my mother’s
chambers, through the upper hall and down the
narrow back stairs. I did not comprehend 15
that he should show so much stamina.
He comes racing now down the August Hall.
I should fly before he again should ring
my neck with his angered hands.
[Exit Eduard.]
Aufenkamp. A most ill-fated frenzy. 20
[Enter Horatio.]
Horatio. The pass! The pass! Cut him off at the pass!
Which way did he go?
[Enter Cleonastra.]
Cleonastra. My lord, hold up. I have new news.
Eunomia revives! She has emerged
from long confinement in the privy 25
chamber and sits now on the edge of her
bed and gaily converses.
Horatio. She does survive? But it had been foretold,
her murder. What is happening?
I am confused and call off the pursuit 30
of Eduard, who has not murdered
his mother. To Eunomia let us
now go, instead. Help me, Cleonastra,
to make amends to my wife and our son.
[Exeunt Horatio and Cleonastra.]
Aufenkamp. He’s confused? 35
Aulterbach. What strange and haphazard scene will
next we witness?
[Enter Parkerson and Praetoria.]
Aufenkamp. Let’s pull up a stool and see what else the
barkeep serves us.
Parkerson. Hallo! 40
Aufenkamp. Hallo, yourself.
Parkerson. Where is everyone?
Aufenkamp. Well, we are here and you are there. As for
the inhabitants of this confused
castle, I cannot tell you. 45
Aulterbach. Some have passed our way, but none as yet has
stopped to give us the time of day.
[Enter Constantine.]
Aufenkamp. Except for dear Cleonastra, who stopped
to give us lunch.
Constantine. Hello, Praetoria, and you sir. 50
Praetoria. Good greetings, dearest Constantine. I have
but lately managed to convey to my
father the false face of our predicament.
Constantine. Good. Good. One matter overcome, but two more
unresolved. 55
Parkerson. Unconvinced I remain, Constantine. This
marriage was well matched and could well be played.
Passion is overrated as a true measure
of success in one’s wedding portrait.
Praetoria. Marriage is not made from smoke and mirrors, 60
no matter how well framed, papa.
Parkerson. I cannot disown my daughter’s cold feet, sir.
So I shall do as I am bid and break
my own Duke’s heart in order that my own
daughter’s heart be freed. 65
Constantine. Commendable, sir, is a father’s heart
for out of love the dirty job it does
not now eschew. Thank you, sir, for I have
twice declined the honor of making
this unannouncement to Duke Horatio. 70
Parkerson. You are welcome, Constantine.
Constantine. But now, sir, I fear this may not be the
best of hours to speak the news.
Parkerson. You have alluded as much. Explain your
cryptic speech. This palace smells of turmoil. 75
Aufenkamp. And I thought it was pastrami.
Constantine. The Duke has gone berserk! Eunomia fell faint
after lunch. Duke Horatio did cry,
“Murderer!” and gave out to choke his son.
Even now he chases Eduard about the 80
Palace grounds.
[Enter Eduard.]
Aulterbach. He is a half cycle off.
Aufenkamp. Here enters one of the missing wheels.
Eduard. Praetoria, sorry that I should so
breathless seem, but I have just lately been 85
reprieved from vigorous agitation
at the hands of my dear father. He no
longer rages, Constantine, but sits at
the side of my mother and soothes her and
calls me son as if the last hour had ne’er 90
been struck.
Praetoria. An opportune time, then, to strike. Papa,
come, let us throw our unconsumed
marriage into this now becalmed sea of
madness. 95
[Exeunt Eduard, Constantine, Praetoria, and Parkerson.]
Aufenkamp. I could consume endless draughts of those two
dark eyes.
Aulterbach. Get in line. That Constantine grins broadly
at the certain dissolution of his
friends’ engagement. Wait. Another 100
[Enter Raoul and Servants, bearing arms and torches.]
personage appears.
Aufenkamp. They come, perhaps, to toast her nuptials.
1st Servant. No, sir. We hunt witches.
Aufenkamp. I have never been on a witch hunt.
1st Servant. Nor I, sir. 105
Aufenkamp. Are they as elusive in Nemaha
as is the snipe?
1st Servant. I cannot say, sir. As oft as I have
heeded that foggy evening call, I have
yet to snag a snipe. 110
Raoul. Fall in, men. We hunt the witch not here but
in nearest Peru. The Park is her dark realm.
Once she did save the Dukedom’s life but now
she plots to take the Dukedom’s wife. And, by
insinuation, his son, too. The schemer 115
shall be caught and brought to trial for her
dark misdeeds.
[Exeunt Raoul and servants.]
Aulterbach. No need to take a tour of this confused
country. Stand long enough in this throne room
and all the inhabitants of this place 120
pass our way.
Aufenkamp. All the characters are here, or
in the Park, exercising their demons.
Follow on, bro’. A-huntin’ we shall go!
[Exeunt.]

No comments: