Thursday, April 22, 2010

Scene IV. Nemaha, the Palace, a throne room.

[Enter Marcol.]
Marcol. Hallo! Is no one about? Why, it is
empty. By Sid Caesar’s ghost this may be
the only time I shall ever see the throne
room deserted after lunch. Come in and
I will see where every one has gone to. 5
[Enter Normalizovitch and Debrushka.]
Be not bashful. Have a seat.
Normalizovitch. ‘Tis too lovely a room to be seated.
We shall stand.
Debrushka. What magnificence, father! Such stately
construction. Have you never seen so well 10
polished or graceful banister, this thick
and colorful carpet. Silvered mirrors
reflect the golden chandeliers. Deep
purple shadows are the draperies. No
doubt the Duke sits well upon his red throne. 15
Normalizovitch. It is the finest room I ever have entered.
Marcol. I am glad you like it. You shall often
be present here at court.
[Exit Marcol.]
Normalizovitch. If only that could be half fulfilled.
[Enter Aufenkamp and Aulterbach.]
Aufenkamp. Hello. 20
Normalizovitch. Hello.
Aulterbach. Your highness, we have come, your wife’s sister’s
sons, the two of us, to gaze upon the
fair and bounteous Nemaha.
Aufenkamp. And to drink in the fountain of your fortune. 25
Normalizovitch. My daughter, these fine men mistake me for
the Duke.
Debrushka. Have a seat, gentlemen.
Aulterbach. Your servant, your honor, is indeed lovely,
a compliment, no doubt, to the good and 30
steady stock of your countrymen.
Normalizovitch. I am fond of her.
Aufenkamp. Would there were a double shot of daughters.
[Enter Marcol.]
Marcol. Come, fair tailor, and you, fairer Debrushka.
The Duke is not in the kitchen, either. 35
He must be out in the garden. We will
search for him there. Who are these two beggars?
I shall send someone to throw them away.
[Exeunt Marcol, Normalizovitch, and Debrushka.]
Aulterbach. Astounding!
Aufenkamp. A confusion. So like as I had much 40
imagined our uncle to have aged since
last we visited.
[Enter Cleonastra.]
Cleonastra. Pastrami and dill or a nice egg salad,
a confusion of choices if you ask me. [Startled.]
Why, Aufenkamp, Aulterbach! I haven’t the two 45
of you seen in years.
Aulterbach. Tell us, kind lady, what passes at this place.
We have lately arrived from Ravenna
to be greeted only by confusion.
A man was just here, in this room, dressed in 50
all manner of fine and handsome clothing,
whom we did mistake for your own husband.
He was attended by a lass of fair
and generous beauty, who did ask that
we should take a seat. 55
Aufenkamp. As we obeyed the Dukedom’s wish, a clown
appeared and called him tailor and winked at
his most fair attendant. Whence he called my
brother “beggar” and bade us quit this palace.
Cleonastra. “My own husband?” Poor fellows, you are much 60
confused. Ah, dear Aufenkamp, sweet Aulterbach,
I am not your Aunt Eunomia. Once
again you are mistaken. I am your aunt’s
faithful servant, Cleonastra.
Aulterbach. Brother, do you not remember our dear 65
Cleonastra? Too long, sweet lady, since
last we played in your kitchen.
Cleonastra. To that, young men, we should attend. I think
there yet remains a little lunch to feed
your Ravennous appetites. Although, 70
I believe, the egg salad has all been et.
[Exeunt.]

No comments: