Friday, April 23, 2010

Scene III. Nemaha, the Palace, a bedchamber.

[Enter Eunomia and Cleonastra.]
Eunomia. I have not seen my sister’s sons in years.
I imagine they have grown.
Cleonastra. Your own son was certainly glad to hear
this news.
Eunomia. Good. I sense that something troubles him which 5
Constantine cannot comfort. The Ravenna
boys will provide a suitable diversion.
What time is it?
Cleonastra. Almost noon.
[Church bells toll.]
Madam, ‘tis noon exact. 10
[Enter Horatio.]
Eunomia. The tailor ought to be here soon. I will
go and prepare…a light lunch.
Horatio. She falters! Two hours soon! Oh, inexact
witchedness! My dear!
Eunomia. Horatio! I am startled. I stare 15
blankly at my own absent mind.
Horatio. A mild dementia, then the long silence.
[Enter Eduard.]
Eunomia. Pastrami with a spear of dill? Or a
nice egg salad? My mind is a muddle.
Horatio, are you ill? Are you having 20
one of your spells?
Horatio. It has not yet come.
Eunomia. Then wash up, and you Eduard, and bring
it all to lunch.
[Exeunt Eunomia and Cleonastra.]
Eduard. What? 25
Horatio. It has not yet come.
[Exeunt.]

No comments: