Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Scene II. Nemaha, the Palace, another room.

[Enter Raoul.]
Raoul. It is a puzzlement devoutly to
be solved. I never thought that I should be
so engaged by a riddle.
[Enter Eduard and Constantine.]
Constantine, dear boy, you are a scholar with
a good head on your shoulders. Answer me 5
this query, “What is it that has arms, legs,
and neck, yet has not hands, nor feet, nor head?
‘Tis not a diamond, heart, club, or spade,
yet more valuable than all of these when
playing strip poker. 10
Constantine. One of Marcol’s riddles, no doubt. On this
let me think. “Hands, feet, head - diamond, heart, and
spade.” I find no pattern there. It is not
a chair, nor table. They have no limbs, but are
somewhat useless at poker. I have no 15
present answer. I shall compute further.
Raoul. Fret not long, dear boy, it is but a small
diversion. A mindless riddle.
Constantine. Yet most perplexing. Can there be a
sensible answer to this rot? 20
Eduard. Not if it be one of Marcol’s riddles.
I would wager nonsense before any
return of sense.
Raoul. Your father was most distressed at its
first recitation. He even threatened 25
to dismiss the poor clown.
Eduard. A twice weekly unfulfillment.
Constantine. Still and all, this one was quite a row. I
heard the shouts from the Duke’s chambers out in
the kitchen. 30
Raoul. Oh, that was not with our Marcol. The row
occurred, for sure, but it was with that witch.
Eduard. Witch?
Constantine. Which?
Raoul. The very witch that once did save his life. 35
She came to him and did demand of him
a private audience. Believe did I
that she had some strange or incredulous
revelation for my brother. The clown
confessed he knew she had a pronouncement 40
as meant to shake this stationary earth.
On our departure from the Duke’s chambers
loud shouts and angry talk pierced my ears.
Horatio then cried aloud for a priest.
At that the witch conjured a disappearance. 45
What’s more strange, indeed, is that she with her
had three urchins, female, and withal they
appeared and disappeared as one,
no separate occurrence. Some evil is now
afoul in this place. 50
Constantine. Where now is my Duke? Should we not go
to him and most quick?
Raoul. My brother has just retired, gone to his
chambers and donned his sleeping garb. For good
reason he retires early. He is greatly 55
troubled by what has passed. However, I
perceive this hassle is between the Duke
and the Witch. Let them resolve such matters,
as they seem to be at the heart of their
universe – not mine. And so, we shall leave it there. 60
Eduard. I think I shall retire. It never grows early.
This has been a tedious day. Many
problems go unsolved into the night.
Though they are not, strictly speaking, my own,
I’m at ill ease over their irresolution. 65
Raoul. True, Eduard, too true. I, myself, am
both restless and tired. The demon of
sleep compels my jaws to yawn. Ahh….
And many a problem goes unsolved.
I wonder what has arms, legs, neck; but no 70
hands, feet, nor head. Perhaps a good night’s nap
will dream up an answer.
[Exit.]
Eduard. I do not wish to sound selfish, but does
it not seem, Constantine, that this day has
been naught but disaster. As if all my 75
fortunes have been hung on the wrong peg.
Constantine. A dismal day, alright. Engaged to a
friend, but not a lover. And I unable
to forthrightly pronounce your soon-to-be
marriage a big mistake. And now this witch 80
appears before your dad. O dismal day!
Eduard. Do not fret, good Constantine, I blame you
no more than I blame my father. He is
quite preoccupied with this witchy business
and he would not, could not, digest the truth 85
of Praetoria’s preference, and, aye, my own,
no matter how eloquent or no, your
ineloquent summation. Let us retire.
To bed, and may the morrow dawn on some
happy news. 90
[Exeunt.]

No comments: