Wednesday, April 28, 2010

ACT TWO
Scene I. Nemaha, The Palace.

[Enter Horatio and Raoul, his brother.]
Raoul. You say she saved your life and since that day
you have seen her but thrice?
Horatio. That is most right, brother. Before you were
yet born I was a toddler, dislodged from
a distracted governess, a happy 5
wanderer until the lure of muddy
paths wore old and left me lost and alone
in some forgotten corner of this
estate. Grutilda plucked me from the bog
and deposited me here in this Palace. 10
Mom and Dad in gratitude of her daring
broomsmanship guaranteed to interfere
not in her sorcery. A pledge I have
always kept.
Raoul. What message does she now bring? 15
Horatio. I know not. Many years ago, at our
last encounter, she declared that in the
full flower of my youth a revelation
she would summon. But I am now autumnal,
a sparse bouquet of chrysanthemum and 20
dusty miller.
[Enter Marcol.]
Who now enters here? Only Marcol.
Impertinent clown, be gone! I expect
strange company at any minute.
Be gone or be flogged! 25
Marcol. Good pardon, my Grace, Sire. I wish a word.
Horatio. Your words are gibberish. Prattle on, then
be gone.
Marcol. My occupation, Lord Horatio,
is to jibe the Irish and steal their blarney. 30
Now, since you speak of it, a riddle:
What is it that has two arms, two legs, one
neck but has no hands, no feet, and no head?
This is not a diamond, heart, club, or spade.
When losing at strip poker it may be 35
of more value than any flush.
Horatio. Go. I have no time for riddles. I will
make time for floggers if I find you not
dismissed.
Marcol. Think on it, Sire. It is more important 40
than you believe!
[Exit Marcol.]
Horatio. Stupid clown.
Raoul. [To himself.]
Two arms, but no hands, two legs, but no feet.
Horatio. Pay no attention to that fool. I will
dismiss him tomorrow. Fools are easy 45
to find. And cheap. It will be no problem.
[Enter Grutilda and Patience, Hope, and Virtue, three sisters.]
Grutilda! Finally. Dear old witch, I
have been waiting. What is of such great
mystery and importance?
Grutilda. Hear me and hear me plainly, but hear me 50
in private, please.
Horatio. Raoul?
Raoul. Not diamonds, hearts, clubs, or spades.
[Exit Raoul.]
Grutilda. A strange bit of prophecy, Sire, presented
in these sisters three. Patience, Hope, 55
and Virtue named. In them the Spirits spin the
wheel of fortune’s whim.
Horatio. I do not believe in Spirits.
Grutilda. No, but you will listen to me.
Horatio. That is true. 60
Grutilda. Then there is no difference on doubt to dwell.
Horatio. Continue. What is it you wish to tell me?
Grutilda. Not tell, but to foretell. An astounding
revelation regarding you and your
realm. In all respects I expect the 65
Duchy to be deeply disturbed by this
development.
Horatio. On with it, good woman!
Grutilda. Patience, good Duke. Patience, come forward, dear.
Patience. Evening, your grace. I am Patience, but not 70
the kind that comes from self control, the kind
that comes under a doctor’s care.
Horatio. What? More riddles?
Grutilda. Now, let us hope the patient’s sickness shan’t
be serious, somber, or grave. Hope. 75
Hope. Evening, your grace. I am headless Hope. Draw
a blank and draw an R. Can you avoid
the hangman with a rope?
Grutilda. Are you hung for an answer, Duke?
Horatio. What ferocious punnery. Learned, no doubt, 80
from Marcol. Continue, dear lady, you
interest me.
Grutilda. Only virtue can vindicate the world
turned upside down in heaven’s vault.
Come forward, child. 85
Virtue. Evening, your grace. I am faultless Virtue.
I alone can save the Patient from the
Rope. I mean with Hope.
Horatio. Enough of this. Come, woman, what is the point
of all this foolishness? 90
Grutilda. I once did save your life.
Horatio. And I have saved your life ten thousand times
each day I do not condemn you for your
witchcraft. Yes, you once saved my life, but that
does not give license to annoy. Tell me. 95
Out with it plainly. What do you want?
Grutilda. To witness what shall come to pass.
Horatio. A vexed old age? Why would you want that?
Grutilda. Someone in this House, your wife, shall fall
ill from fatal poison, a flowering 100
herb maladministered. Your youthful son
will be accused. He will hang for his offense.
Horatio. You talk nonsense, witch.
Grutilda. I talk what I foresee as truth. Your son
will murder his mother. Unless 105
you listen well to me.
Horatio. I have quit listening.
Grutilda. Patience, Duke, is a virtue and a hope.
Horatio. Why?
Grutilda. Patient virtue will hope to make all whole. 110
Horatio. And what is virtue?
Grutilda. In this case, it could be cash.
Horatio. As I might think! Out, witch, out with all your
Patience, Hope, and Virtue. To think that you,
who saved my very life, should use this deed 115
to torture, haunt, and blackmail me upon
your return.
Grutilda. Do not say I did not warn you. Before
the week is out all this shall come too true.
Anxiety looms each afternoon at two. 120
Horatio. Out!
Grutilda. Sorrow seeks someone else’s tears. Mine are dry.
Horatio. OUT!
[Alarum and Smoke.]
[Exeunt Grutilda and the three sisters.]
It may be once a friend, but needs always
be witched. Nonsense! Riddles! Enough!
To bed and let the morning light
dispel this wicked shadow of night.
[Exit.]

No comments: