Monday, December 11, 2006

August 30, 1975: Saturday

Rise and shower. The same breakfast, except the toaster works. Big discussion with Doug about rugby.

After reading awhile Cal and I go to the Botanic Gardens. Gee, the place is nice. Lots of vegetation and people enjoying the warm winter sun. There’s this Paradise duck, which is an unusually friendly, nicely colored thing. This New Zealander gave us a bunch of bull about the bird, about us, and about Antarctica.

We get back to Cathedral Square where Dr. Treves is eating fish and chips. We go get some while he gets some stamps. A dollar two for fish, chips, and scallops. We get something to drink while waiting for the bus to New Brighton.

They guy in the Hot Dog place hassles me about what size Coke. I get a 38 cent one. It’s a 750 ml bottle. Cal gets a small one. I need a cup. Cal ends up with another Coke. And I’m self conscious about my accent. The hopeless feeling gets worse, especially when connected with my fear of not knowing how to get on buses. The driver tells me to get rid of the bottle (one quarter full) and I have trouble communicating what size ticket I need to get to New Brighton, mostly because I don’t know myself.

Feeling down. Brighton’s the place in Quadraphenia. But here the day is bright and the sea roars onto the beach and all is peace and inner thoughts prevail. The Pacific and the land around reminds me of a puzzle. It’s all right.

We look in the New Brighton stores and reboard a bus (40 cents, round trip). The driver makes Cal throw away his ice cream bar. Finished my first roll of film.

We walk back to the motel and I read. I keep liking the book more. The Martian’s notions remind me of the way I feel towards Cathy. I must grok this carefully.

Cal and I go to Wino’s Pizza, while Dr. Treves naps. The pizza is made with Cheddar cheese, and it’s a bit soggy. Two dollars is all right, pricewise. Some old lady gives some bull about a lady she knows who fixes pizza on New Year’s Eve. I tell her we’re going to Antarctica to drill holes in rocks. Cal laughs. You have to say that line with a straight face. I’m feeling more confident, now.

We walk around looking for something sweet. I buy a nickel candy bar for eighteen cents. Dad would be ashamed. We walk home to watch T.V. and read. We get flight schedules. Dr. Treves and I have to be at the airport at 11:15 p.m. tomorrow night. The landlady hassles us about getting out tomorrow by 10:00, but not leaving the place. Dr. Treves tells her we’ll just pay for an extra day.

Costs:
$1.02....Fish, scallops
$0.38....Coke
$0.80....Bus
$2.00....Pizza
$0.18....Candy bar

No comments: