Tuesday, December 05, 2006

September 5, 1975: Friday

Boy, am I glad I learned how to drive a truck at Stephenson’s this summer, because I sure wouldn’t want to learn here, with all the poles and ditches and snowbanks and cold, cold weather. Especially our pick-up. I killed it four or five times whilst Cal and I were picking up provisions for the lab. Bio-Mike took my jacket, so we had to go down and trade him. It took close to thirty minutes to get up the hill. Dr. Treves told me to take it down to Jack to get it fixed. Backed her out of the drive and couldn’t get it started. Boy, was I unsure of myself ‘cause I thought this whole mess was my fault because I didn’t plug the truck into a block heater.

I told Dr. Treves I couldn’t get it started. He just sent me down to get help. Sam Morgan climbed into an emergency truck and gave me a jump. He and Jack went to work on the carburetor, points, and foot-feed.

In the afternoon, I almost fell asleep listening to Billy Taylor jazz. Fortunately Cal and I had to go find our lab cameras, which we got. The rest of the afternoon we spent giving tours. Met Leon, head of the drillers. Jack and Sam Morgan were suitably impressed by everything, especially thin sections in crossed nicols, and my quartz. I’d brought it up, with the pen holder and letter holder. Makes the office look used. I wish I new what to do in that office. The last two hours we sit around and talked about teaching, geology, and field camp. I listen carefully and feel that I’m not doing too bad. Everyone makes the mistakes I do. I got out Rocks in Thin Sections for a review. I need it.

They’ve got a machine here called a Freshen-up with Seven-up Machine. It dispenses, for twenty cents, either Coke or Miller’s. I read Ivanhoe and drink Miller’s. Then I wandered down and taught Pete, Bio-Mike, Ed (a bioperson, Chicano, I think), and Dan (the health joker) how to play darts the way Clark and I play. Told ‘em it was “collegiant rules.” Then Dan and Ed and I play “Round the World” (one, two, three…). I lose both times.

Days Output:
$0.20....Beer, Miller’s

No comments: