Saturday, December 09, 2006

September 1, 1975: Monday

About one o’clock we wander back to get our hand held luggage. We sit around the warehouse manager’s office (nothing like good ol’ Stephenson’s) and listen to the first plane rev up it’s engines. A few minutes later the phone rings.

“Uh huh. I see. O.K. What about accommodations?” Whitney (the manager) informs us the flights have been canceled. Fog and fuel problems. It’s back to the motel at 3:00 a.m.

Say good-night, Calvin.

We wake up at 11:30. Because all our clothes were packed last night, I get to wear my long underwear, jeans, wool shirt, and tight work shoes.

Calvin has gone motoring to the Banks Peninsula. Dr. Treves and I walk down to Fish & Chips and have lunch (54 cents). We sit in the Cathedral Square and listen to some Jesus Freaks preach. The day is warm and lots of people are out shopping. Go to Whitcoumbs and browse. I buy Ivanhoe for 75 cents.

When we get back to the motel, John and Jeff (two oceanographers) invite Doug and Dr. Treves and me to ride down to Lytleton Harbour for some sight seeing.

I grab the camera and we’re off (one dollar for gas). There’s this neat castle-looking tea house. We snoop around. And a hill that gives a commanding view of the city.

The Harbour is in a volcanic setting, absolutely marvelous. We wander around and end up on a farm trail and get some close shots of sheep.

Back home, I finish reading the book. I got a little bored with the proposition of his theological views and will not ask Cathy to read it ‘cause she might take the “growing close” wrong.

Someone, Cal (who’s back), Steve (the guy with the ring in his ear), Dr. Treves, and I eat at the Coffee Pot Café, mutton. Tastes like sweet pork. Two dollars and sixty-six cents, part in American, part in New Zealand. We walk around for awhile and head back.

I take a short nap. Then it’s the same routine as last night, except we get off the ground.


Days Expenditures:
$0.54....Fish and chips
$1.00....Gas
$2.66....Dinner
$5.00....Motel
$0.75....At the airport
$0.75....Ivanhoe

No comments: