Thursday, February 01, 2007

More War Stories

Several officers normally went together and hired a Korean boy to take care of their billet, keeping it clean, taking the laundry out, and other chores.

Our houseboy was about 14 years old and was being privately tutored. He said the Korean schools were so bad most young men felt private tutoring was the only solution. We only found this out when he asked to be paid early one month because his tutor needed money. At this point, I volunteered to help him with his English. After looking at his textbook, I knew why most Koreans speak “pigeon” English. That’s the way their books are written!

Our houseboy was basically honest and a good worker but he constantly asked us to buy him a world-wide radio at the Post Exchange. This was an excellent black market item and could be sold for much more than retail value. We refused to take part in this enterprise and accused him of illegal activity.

“Oh, no. Me no slicky, slicky,” he protested.

We still refused. When I left Korea, I gave him my alarm clock, which I am sure he converted to cash before I got out of the country.

Generals were not an uncommon sight for us since we went to work each morning at a high level headquarters. I was late one day, however, and as I rounded a corner hurrying to go to work, I ran directly into a major general and nearly knocked him down. I hastily excused myself and when the general said he was okay, I scurried on to work.

It reminded me of the old joke about the enlisted man who ducked into a darkened doorway out of the wind to light his cigarette. Finding he was out of matches, the GI reached out when he saw a khaki uniform pass by and asked for a light. He saw the flicker of a gold cigarette lighter and two stars looking at him from the stranger’s shoulder pads.

Flustered, the soldier came to attention, saluted and said, “Sorry, sir, I didn’t recognize your rank.”

“That’s all right, soldier,” said the general. “You just thank God I wasn’t a second lieutenant!”

On the subject of generals, our commanding officer, Gen. Maxwell D. Taylor, did hobnob with junior officers on occasion. He was a tennis buff and was always looking for a match. Fortunately, I did not play and did not have the opportunity. Friends of mine who did always had a dilemma. Does one play his best and take a chance of beating the “old man” or gamble he won’t notice if you let him win.

I watched a number of matches and Gen. Taylor seemed to be able to hold his own with the younger men, even though the elastic bandage on his leg indicated he might have pulled a muscle.

Gen. Taylor was reputed to be one of the “chosen officers,” picked early in their career to go places in the service. Such men, almost without exception graduates of West Point, were placed in strategic positions early in their careers so they would be in the right place at the right time.

Later to become chairman of the joint chiefs of staff, the superior officer to all branches of service, Taylor was quite obviously given selective assignments. He was in the paratroopers during the second world war and jumped into Germany to save the American army at the Battle of the Bulge. His assignment to Korea advanced his career, of course, and he replaced Mark Clark in the Far East command before continuing up the ladder.

No comments: