Monday, October 30, 2006

October 11, 1975: Saturday

Finished Deb’s letter and wrote Andria. She writes very well, descriptive. Had a big meeting with Dave and Bob Thompson and Leon and Jack Hoffman. We decided to tell Washington to make the decision. Now. Dave brought some pictures taken on the flight down. Very poor pictures for our purpose. But there was one great picture of the Blue and Hobbs Glaciers, Mount Debrushka, and the Royal Society Range. Have got to get a hold of it.

Mailed the letters home. Cal thinks I’m crazy for writing four and five page letters. Maybe he’s right. Cost me $1.08 for the one home, plus some customs information, and 39¢ to mail Deb’s. They were nice at the Post Office about my inept mailing habits.

Dr. Treves spent the afternoon writing a nasty message to Washington telling them to say Yes, or say No, and have a good reason for No. Time to make a decision, and do it honorably. It was a very interesting letter.

Cal and I worked on thin sections, and petrography. I am learning, little by little. We walked up to the Nuclear Plant to take pictures of Mount Erebus (it was really puffing away), Mount Discovery, and the mountains.

After supper we developed three rolls of his black and white film. I think he wastes a lot of film to get good pictures. I have no objections. I’ll have to see them enlarged before I can comment on their quality.

The new head mechanic looks like Lou Costello, I swear. Short, fat, flat nose, slight mustache when he doesn’t shave. An exact replica. (Another couple of jokers look like Captain Kangaroo). Anyway, his name is Frank A. Costello. Yes, believe it or not. I hope the “A” stands for Abbot. He dropped by to borrow some writing paper and an envelop. He talks with a bit of a lithp, but I’ve never held that againtht any man.

Started to ready about Harry Truman in Plain Speaking. He was a doddering old man, with all those infuriating habits. But he had a flair for honesty. And words.

About Eisenhower: “Of course literacy is not an absolute essential for the Presidency. So far as I know, it is not anywhere written into the Constitution as a requirement, but somehow, I do feel more relaxed with a literate man in the White House.”

Said farewell to Jack. He had Jo Ann B. dressed up like a train (the AT&SF).

Learned today that Captain Van Reeth, the new commander, has a son. He works for Holmes and Narver. Ah hah.

The ensign in charge of Special Services is a lady. I’ll have to check this sucker out.

Total Expenditures:
$0.67 Stamps.

No comments: