Thursday, October 12, 2006

October 28, 1975: Tuesday

Mailed Marilyn’s letter and signed up for a phone patch.

Sitting in the dispensary is just like sitting in any other doctor’s office in the world. There’s a guy at the desk asking your name, complaint, and all sorts of things. Then you sit and wait.

A shy little sailor (lady) sat next to me. A Vicki Vollertson type (glasses and hair curled in the back and attached by a wooden peg). Nervous.

They gave me a very thin jock.

A large young lady calls your name and you go see the Doc. The lady has big everythings, walks like a gorilla, sort of, and would be very pretty if she didn’t have a Richard Nixon nose, skunk striped hair, and smiled more.

The Doc says I’m not so much infected anymore, but to stay on the medication.

I go back to the Hotel to try on my scrotal support. It’s a one-size-fits-all jobby with adjustable straps that are way too long, a place to store my you-know-what, and big hole to urinate through.

I spent the rest of the morning weighing all the grab samples on the Mettler balance in the Bio-lab, and looking through the Guest Register. Nobody’s heard of Julian Hart, except me. A “S. McCormick” of the Mutual Radio Network signed it in the early sixties.

Went to lunch. Dr. Treves said, “Follow me.” So we walked through the galley, climbed into the pick-up (it was full of stuff for a helo flight) and drove over to the Chalet. He said, “Go eat.” I walked back to the mess hall. Sometimes I get the feeling I’m going around in circles.

We were supposed to have tacos for lunch, but I didn’t see any. Ate with Nartsiss. He’s going to Dome Charlie as an expert on ice conditions there. I thought it was to send his government top secret photos.

Took the samples back up to the lab and figured out weight percentages. Still have to dry five mud samples.

Moved all the stuff out of the porch and one freezer over to the fish-hut on top of DVDP-3. Had the help of two GFAs. We unloaded the truck because the helo flight was canceled until tomorrow.

Weather just beautiful. Wore the ol’ State Champ jacket to dinner.

Washed some pots and pans and returned them to the BFC.

After supper I read the rest of the introduction to Composition of Scientific Words, plus part of the lexicon. Father Brady named a diatom after Dr. Treves, Corona trevesinus. With the help of the book, it means Treves’s crown.

Erebus was the Roman god of darkness.

Took the mud samples down to the Bio-lab and put them in the oven to dry.

Days Expenditures:
$3.50 Penguin Sweatshirt
$0.50 Post Card for Nancy

No comments: