Saturday, October 28, 2006

October 13, 1975: Monday

Nebraska beat Kansas 16-0. OU beat Texas. Spent the morning writing letters, running errands, and polishing my thin sections. Boy, did I make a mess of that thing. Not unusual, considering it’s my first try.

Mailed the penguin to Janet. The guy at the Post Office really hassled me. A buck twelve, plus ten cents for having personal correspondence in it.

We got the negatives and prints of the break out. Cal and I made ten copies of the drill site frame. It’s very clear what’s going on in terms of ice thickness. The pictures are good. My project is going to be trying to make a panoramic view from Discovery to Bernacchi from different frames.

Max made up this really neat cable spool frame for winding up the sounding cord. He’s a good designer. Jack Hoffman took my old office. We changed typewriters. Told him his was better. I don’t know if it is or not.

Nartsiss showed Cal and me all his data from the Erebus Ice Tongue samples. Photomicrographs of the crystal structure and electroconductivity tests at different depths to analyze the amount of salt.

We filtered the ash layer and put it into the oven to dry. Dr. Treves is disappointed because it doesn’t look very positive as an ash fall of any significance. We started filtering the bottom samples, but that’s a long, slow process.

Did the wash after supper. I wrote Grandma for family tree information. Got Deb’s letter finished. Read some more Plain Speaking. Had a discussion with Doug about music theory. Asked Deb to be our tutor.

Pat, Pete’s roommate, plays the steel slide guitar. He had it out. I think it was invented by someone who didn’t like to play chords. I think he’s a pretty good bull shooter. I put some on him about DVDP. He’s an Earth Science - Astronomy major. Hope I didn’t get too deep, because I know I would be wrong about what I said. Sort of screwed up describing the geology of Ross Island. Stayed up late to write Cathy so I could get up early to get it in the mail tomorrow. Good night.

Spent:
$1.22 Stamps.

No comments: