Friday, October 27, 2006

October 14, 1975: Tuesday

Ran errands this morning. Took the dried bottom samples from 15 feet out and sieved them into grain sizes. Had to fix the sieve shaker, first.

Cal put the samples in the epoxy, after I weighed them and made percentage data. I actually have some real, live Data. It’s sort of thrilling. Now I have to find out what to do with it. The particles are concentrated in the first, second, and fourth largest sizes. The other sample isn’t dry yet.

Dr. Treves is kind of interested in my latitude and longitude determination. The plan is for a driller, Bob Thompson, and Dr. Treves to drive a snowtrack to the site, have a helicopter bring in a crew to cut a hole in the ice, fly away (after bringing a surveyor) and have the three of them sit at the hole, measuring currents. I might get to fly in the helo! But they need strong guys, and I may not get to go.

Cal and I have a good system for getting things out of the Bio-lab or the BFC. We walk in, say we need one thing, then gradually pick up more things on the way out.

Met Peter Barrett. He’s the coring geologist. He has a machine that measures the speed of sound through the core.

Doug came by to help us put the X -ray machine together. The ammeter doesn’t work and that’s holding us back. Doug had the same impression about Pat that I did, but it bothered him. I’m used to it.

No mail. Didn’t expect any. Might get one from Joy on Thursday. Hope so. If not, I’ll write her next Sunday. Saw some perfume, called “Joy,” in the Ship’s Store. $31.58. Glad I already bought her birthday present. Helped Calvin buy 100 sheets of Kodabromide print paper, 86¢.

I think the panoramic areal view is going to work. I spent the night in the dark room lining things up.

We’re going to film a TV series and cal it S*A*R*P.

Sidebar: The Christchurch papers had the story about Jeff’s death.

No comments: