Tuesday, November 28, 2006

September 12, 1975: Friday

Boy, I learn a lot of things today. Read some of Dr. Treves’s papers in the Antarctic Journal. There’s a Treves Cliff somewhere in Antarctica. There’s a Mount McCormick and a Cape McCormick. Cape McCormick was named after the surgeon on the H.M.S. Discovery in 1842 with Ross (or perhaps the Terror in 1894, I forget which).

Anyway, I found out where to notify the government that Mount Debrushka has been named. It’s a bureau in the Interior Department. They publish official gazetteers.

Jim Newman is writing a book. We went over to Scott Base, after unloading the gear, to talk to Robert Thompson about what we did. I guess we’ll be going back out next week.

I developed pictures. The one of the bridge reflecting in the River Avon is the prettiest, but as usual my rotten photography and impatient darkroom work leaves a lot that could be better.

We get the day off tomorrow.

I went over to give Jack his copy of a penguin photo. He wants my role of negatives. He’s a pretty good photographer.

Al was dissecting a Borchavinky fish in the Bio-Lab. He’s studying the synthesis of a protein molecule, which works as an antifreeze. He played the Carpenter’s Close to You album twice while I was developing.

ToDay:
15¢ lost in a Pop Machine
Traded Pete 23¢ Kiwi for
a quarter and had a Miller’s

No comments: