Thursday, November 09, 2006

October 1, 1975: Wednesday

Spend the morning figuring the latitude and longitude of the drill site. I pick two points, 180º apart, on a straight line through the drill site, then two other points, similarly. The Fang through the left side of the third mountain on the first range north of Gneiss Point (turns out to be Mount Doorly) and Mount Bird through to the Hogback. Using their latitudes and longitudes as coordinates on a Cartesian field, I determined the equation of the lines, solving simultaneously to find the point of intersection, namely the drill site.

I had to convert seconds of arc into decimal points. I am worried that the graph is scaled so that the unit division is not always the same length. But since I am doing only positions and not distances, the conflict is taken care of. I come up with 77º 25’ 17” S and 164º 33’ 20” E. That’s 2 seconds off in latitude and 7 seconds off in longitude, according to what the guideline says. That’s not sufficient. I must determine my own error.

I spend the afternoon unloading 504. And then go down and develop negatives, plus three large pictures of the Outhouse Inauguration.

I get a phone patch home.

Nebraska is 3-0, ranked 4th, beat Indiana 35-7 and TCU 57-0. Kay (I talked to her, she was glad, I think) is a homecoming candidate. Becky B. is the prettiest candidate. Berzel is officially engaged. I forgot to ask if it was to Karen. Yesterday I had a funny feeling about being a best man at his wedding. Hope it all comes true. Toodles lives in the basement. And they haven’t heard from Cathy. I’m going to call her next week.

Develop all the pictures and go to sleep about eleven.

No comments: