Saturday, November 11, 2006

September 29, 1975: Monday

We’re being rescued today! Hurrah! 41 and 503 on their way at eight o’clock. We walk out to the hill overlooking Marble Point and try to make radio contact with Mac Center. Dr. Treves explains the geology of the place to me. But to see it for myself, without help, is impossible. I wonder if I ever will.

Sam walks down to the ice and puts his ear on it. He claims he can hear 41 whining it’s way here. In the afternoon Cal, Dr. Treves, and I take a four mile walk over to a cinder cone, slide down a snow bank to the Bay of Sails, and walk around the coast to Gneiss Point.

About 5:30 p.m. we make contact with Jim Matthews, who is with Jack and Tonto. He thinks it’s Jack calling. We ask for an ETA and put supper on.

They’re a little late, so we eat. Finally, we’re rescued. Four people (a guy from Penguin Power and Light, also). It’s like an invasion. Now I know how the Winter Over people feel at Win-Fly. But they bring out the cigarettes and rum. And it’s Party Time.

First we get out this parachute, a huge silk thing, and drape it over the Civic Center and East Wing and 41, like a big circus tent. It’s amazing, like Ringling Brothers, especially with all the lanterns and talking during the Party. Dave is a nice guy when he loosens up. No animosity with him any more. Jack dedicated his whole show to us.

The stars are out for the first time in awhile, even though you can see where the sun is going down at eleven o’clock. I’m surprised I recognize so much. I point things out to Sam.

No comments: