Thursday, December 09, 2010

ACT FIVE
Scene I. Washington, D.C. The Capitol.

[Enter Peter Rodino, Chairman of the House Committee on the Judiciary, Wiggins, Sandman, and Other Members of the House Committee on the Judiciary, a Clerk, Members of the Press, and divers Spectators.]
Rodino. Again we renew this debate, namely
that the President of the United States
shall be impeached by the House of Representatives
upon these three bills. One, he has obstructed
the administration of justice. Two, 5
he has used the powers of the Presidency
in a manner which is abusive and
has repeatedly engaged in conduct
violating the rights of free men. Three,
the President, in contempt of Congress, 10
has repeatedly failed to comply with
the will of the House of Representatives.
Mr. Wiggins.
Wiggins. Ladies and Gentlemen, I have been, for
all my life a faithful and regular 15
Republican, a long and loyal
supporter of Richard M. Nixon.
For five months, now, I’ve not slept, nor have
any of my colleagues upon this
Committee. These long and frightful months lay 20
heavy upon us, for we have learned in
full and hideous detail, the ways and
means by which the American public
has been subverted by their elected
leader. I hold that Richard M. Nixon 25
is responsible for the action of his
aides. No man should be so reckless, so naïve
as to let the likes of Haldeman and
Ehrlichman bungle their jobs unknowing
or uncaring of the consequence. We have 30
heard the testimony of how the
President tried to ignore this thing called
Watergate and then how he tried to control
its destructive impetus. But we were
denied the full story. Denied the most 35
important tapes and documents.
This Wednesday last, the President was
ordered to hand over the tapes. But, lo,
he and his staff dilly-dally and claim
that they must be cross referenced. This 40
Committee is yet denied. But the House
will not be denied! America will
not be denied the truth. In Contempt of
Congress, in Obstruction of Justice, the
President should be impeached. 45
The agony of this decision cannot
be measured in time nor money. I have
deserted my Party, a grave result,
but I sincerely feel that I have made
the right decision and my soul will not 50
trouble me. I place my support, and my
confidence, in the American People.
Rodino. Mr. Sandman.
Sandman. The Gentleman from California speaks true.
None of us have slept these past months. 55
The sick agony of a sleepless soul,
searching through the midst of twelve volumes of
testimony, come now I to defend
the President. Perhaps this is more
a question of proportionalities. 60
If a man should hire two servants and these
men should prove to be loyal and faithful
servants, who to protect the interests
of their master, perform mischief and
other things of illegal intent, 65
how can you condemn the master for
protecting, in turn, his loyal servants?
This is what I find here in these
Watergate scandals. The wrongs committed,
in the name of loyalty, are fairly 70
flown out of all decent proportion.
I cannot condemn this man! I find, in
my soul, in my heart, in my prayers, that
this man cannot be impeached for
the trivial acts of his subordinates. 75
Rodino. The Committee will now take a vote.
There shall be a short recess.
[Exeunt all save Two Members of the Press.]
1st Reporter.Why the unscheduled pause?
2nd Reporter.Methinks the rumor of a bomb.
1st Reporter.A bomb! While all of history hangs 80
in the balance?
2nd Reporter.‘Tis a maxim. Terrorists will always
strike those in the public eye.
1st Reporter.Shall we not flee, e’er we be blown sky high?
And never learn if the President be 85
impeached or not!
2nd Reporter.Security will check the rumor and
clear us from all harm. The Committee will
vote shortly. I think they return even as I speak.
[Re-enter the Committee, Members of the Press, and Spectators.]
Rodino. And now that the coast is clear, we shall proceed 90
to the vote. In favor of recommending
that the full House impeach Richard M. Nixon,
raise your right hand. Opposed, the same.
Clerk, the results, if you please.
Clerk. Mr. Chairman, twenty-four in favor, 95
fifteen opposed.
Rodino. The Committee on the Judiciary
concludes its business. A full bill
of Impeachment will be delivered
unto the House of Representatives. 100
What has passed herein has been done. May it
be deemed just. Committee adjourned.
[Exeunt.]

No comments: