Monday, December 06, 2010

Scene IV. Washington, D.C. The White House.

[Enter Richard, Gerald Ford, Carl Albert, Secret Service Agents, and divers Senators and Representatives.]
Richard. Thank you, gentlemen, for coming to me
this morning to present your views.
Albert. I hope you take our words to heart and
abide by the things we have said.
For it is in the name of the nation 5
that we ask you these things.
[Exeunt Albert, Senators, and Representatives.]
Richard. I ask you, Jerry, how many backstabbers
are there in the world. Monday I announce
the extent of my entire guilt and on
Tuesday morn the assorted kingpins 10
of Capitol Hill come to call for my
resignation. Will you make a good
President, Jerry?
Ford. I pray I may never be given the chance.
Richard. But if worse comes to worst, could you 15
handle the job?
Ford. I imagine I could.
[Enter Henry Kissinger.]
Hello, Henry.
Kissinger. Mr. Ford, it is time for your briefing
on foreign affairs in the week upcoming. 20
Richard. Ah, Henry, when is my briefing?
Kissinger. I don’t think one will be necessary, sir.
[Exeunt Ford, Kissinger, and Secret Service Agents.]
Richard. Diogenes searched for an honest man.
In truth he quested for a fool.
[Exit.]
[Enter Carl Albert, Carl Curtis, and Howard K. Smith.]
Smith. Mr. Speaker, what did you’re group tell the 25
President?
Albert. We explained that his administration
has done disaster to the foundations
of government and we asked him
to resign before the damage becomes 30
irreparable.
Smith. Is that true, Senator Curtis?
Curtis. Young reporter, it is the duty
of every Citizen to stand by his
President, right or wrong, he is our 35
Government. The action proposed today
by my colleagues is repulsive.
The United States of America
cannot operate in such a manner.
Shall we become nothing but a Banana 40
Republic, whereby the election of
a leader lasts only as long as the vested
minority concurs? Are we to face
the ordeal of our President succumbing
to the capricious fate of the opinion 45
poll? Will America someday be placed
at the level where foreign dispatches
shall read that a bloodless coup has resulted
in the ouster of another president?
We can not allow this Republic to 50
become allied with the forces of sad
instability and arrogant whim.
We shall not have a government who’s sole
objective is to maintain the balance
of factional power long enough to 55
control the Radio Station in the
Capitol. All this, young reporter I
foresee, if Richard M. Nixon is forced
to resign.
[Exeunt.]

No comments: