Wednesday, September 27, 2006

November 12, 1975: Wednesday

I know why I like Mount Bird and Mount Morning so much. It’s because the shadows in the cracks and hills and glaciers are blue, a fuzzy blue, that stands out against the white, which is surrounded by egg shell sky, so that everything looks like a fake backdrop in a Hollywood movie.

Worked all morning gathering miscellaneous bathymetric and grab sample data. Made a fairly accurate map of the area with grab sample locations.

Hassled with Kathy over some of the notes and how to interpret them. I thought she was getting pretty mad at me for hounding her about getting things accurate.

But I apologized and we really had fun this morning. I started typing up the data while she poured H2O2 onto grab samples and Cal did up castings. Left her alone and she ended up typing my data, but couldn’t really make heads or tails of what I wanted. She’ll learn.

The weather’s O.K. One helo went out. 1A is in great condition. We go out at 13:15. Cal goes off to take Jerry’s resupplies to the helo pad.

They try to get the movie projector to work.

The weather is just gorgeous, warm, calm, sunny, with low clouds to the south.

Kathy and I walk to lunch.

Out at 1A, I take the day shift and log three wash samples. Cal and I do the ice deflections and ice depth.

Finish Cosell and retire.

No comments: