Friday, September 15, 2006

November 24, 1975: Monday

Got up at eight. Saw Bob and the helos off. Went back to sleep. Woke up about 1:30 p.m. The surveyors from Scott Base were out. They beat Kathy, Bio-Mike and I, 8-1, in ice hockey. I scored the only goal. They tied the drillers, 1-1.

We got our gear together. It looks like site 1B is near the Ferrar Valley Extension.

We go out and look for seal holes near it when 590 gets back from Marble Point.

Ice Deflection is kaput because Points A and E are gone.

We try to scout a road to New Harbour for Leon. We get to the tide crack. It’s four feet wide. I jumped over McMurdo Sound. Kathy sat down on the new ice in the crack.

That’s when the helo came by. It had Dr. Treves on it. He was worried about us. I guess form our radio conversations he thought we were one disaster after another and physically unable to cope. I don’t know why.

Well, I guess I just don’t have the heart to overrule a young lady when it comes to letting her do things her own way. Bio-Mike got the impression Kathy and I didn’t get along. “She just drives me up the wall,” I told him.

Since the crack won’t let us get to New Harbour Kathy flies back (with Rich) and looks for seal holes from the air.

I drive back with Bio-Mike.

At 1A, we decide to try our luck at the tide crack for our measurements.

We wait for Dr. Treves to get back from counting the drill pipe at New Harbour.

Sidebar: They pile up snow with the D-4 over the drill hole. Bio-Mike and I took Kathy by the feet and lifted her up. Dr. Treves documents this.“You’ve got to keep the loonies on the path.”

Site 1A Asylum, as usual. Fearless Fred all over anyone, Kathy and I doing a Highland fling. She’s packed us a picnic lunch; ham, bread, chocolate, Snack Pack, a case of Oly and gin with apple and orange juice.

This is going to be a heck of a mission.

We fix the current meter and we’re off.

No comments: