Wednesday, September 13, 2006

November 26, 1975: Wednesday

I remember pulling the covers up over my head.

The next thing I knew I heard Dr. Treves in the hall. Peter’s boots were on the floor and camera was on the table. It must be about nine o’clock

I looked at the clock. It read fifteen ‘til two.

I went out to the bathroom and asked Steve what time it was. Ten ‘til two.

I needed that. Put the clothes in the wash and showered.

I went up to the lab. Dr. Treves wasn’t mad. He said there was no reason to wake me up.

Kathy had gone to Taylor Glacier, though.

I helped Cal with thin sections.

Found out that I’m a co-author on the preliminary paper for DVDP 15, along with Peter, Cal, Dr. Treves, Howard, Jerry, and Kathy. It looks impressive, anyway, except that it will go by the name “Barrett, et al.”

After supper Mike Rieff wanted me to play basketball for the USARPs. We got beat by the VXE-6 Herc Crew, 73-24. I was really obnoxious. The refs were lousy. I had nothing against them, personally. I just hate incompetence.

They threw me out of the game after three fouls. Claimed I had five. Doug DeMasters also fouled out after three. They called three seconds against the big guy I’d never seen before. He was on defense at the time.

That big joker didn’t like my enthusiasm (or ref baiting). Said it infuriated the other team. Hustling is hustling, as far as I’m concerned. I’ve always been an obnoxious hustler.

Howard scored four points. He can’t dribble too well, or catch passes. But he was good enough that everyone was flabbergasted when they found out he was an Australian priest.

I put in two baskets before I fouled out, after five minutes in the second half, one an outside pump shot, the other a swirling drive down the middle, a twisting lay-up.

My so called fifth foul was going for a loose ball. I had both arms around the ball and got called for slapping at the other player’s arms.

It was pretty sad. I was the third tallest on the team. So I tried to play forward, which means running the full length of the court. Which means getting tired.

I was playing guard when we really started doing decent against them. And then got benched. We need to shoot more. Perhaps we should go to a three guard, two forward offense. The man-to-man we used in the second half seemed to work.

Oh, well. It released a lot of energy.

Pat M. (he and I get along real well, ever since my cross words with him at the food locker, or at least ever since Kathy moved into his building) and Howard and I went over to the Red Room of the Helo Crew, to see if DVDP was having a party. Nope.

Went up to the lab.

Lieutenant Commander Gordon was polishing rocks from Carapace Nunatak. Dr. Treves was boxing up his rocks. Everything is done with the core, getting it ready to be shipped.

The drillers all come in for Thanksgiving. Dr. Treves pre-arranged a storm for the occasion. Except it means that Peter and Kathy will be stuck in the field one more day. He’ll have to hurry to catch his plane.

Ate Japanese-style noodles, made of buckwheat and wine.

Fifty cents gone:
Pop for Pat and I.

No comments: