Monday, September 04, 2006

December 5, 1975: Friday

A sleepy day, reading, helping Kathy process grab samples, frosting slides, and cleaning up the front room.

Kathy very quietly asked me if I would like to go with her over to Scott Base on Saturday and ride the dog sled. She had been invited by the trainer and was allowed two companions. She wanted to make up for the snubs that Scott Base had given Cal and me.

I said, “Of course.” But if she wanted to take someone besides me, I didn’t mind. She got kind of mad about that.

In the afternoon George Denton came up and talked to us. He gave us some kenyite to run through the x-ray diffractometer. Dr. Treves got him to give an informal lecture up at the lab. The only time he could do it was Saturday afternoon.

Kathy objected, or at least suggested we make it early. Cal said he’d rather listen to Denton than ride the dog sleds. I didn’t say anything until after supper, when I asked Kathy what time the trainer was expecting her. She said she decided not to even bother trying get over there.

It’s the first and only time I’ve ever started a conversation with her that she didn’t get mad about.

After supper we were in the Ship’s Store. She was looking with a dreamy stare out across the aisle. I grinned, “Do you enjoy looking at men’s underwear?”

At first she laughed. Then she got mad. I guess it’ll take a long time to get her used to my insanity. But it’s coming along, slowly.

The guys up at the Nuclear Plant are blasting away at things. Every time they have one, they call up and Dr. Treves goes up and monitors the blast while I stand by on the phone. Then he counts down and I shout it out to Katsu, who turns on the machine at full speed.

There’s this repercussion, as paper comes flying out and the needles quiver all over and you can hear rocks falling onto the roof over the phone. Katsu is happy and the people on Observation Hill are just tickled to cooperate. I think they just like to play with dynamite.

Saw Duck Soup by the Marx Brothers. Dumb!

About nine-thirty Andy Auskaps, helo pilot, called Kathy and wanted to know if she’d walk up Observation Hill with him. She invited Cal to go along. At least that’s the impression that I got. The question wasn’t directed to me. She and Cal have been more-or-less together, lately, while I go into my old routine of tagging along, sulking, always joining them, and being a general nuisance.

But Rich Magyar, a helo crewman came up to talk. So did Tex, another helo boy. He looks like Dash Snyder.

And CosRay Doug called. Wanted to polish some marble for his niece and nephew. I told him we were walking up Observation Hill, so he walked over from CosRay to join us.

By this time I think Kathy had given up any hope of her and Cal and Andy walking up, alone, if that ever was her intention. I had to borrow Dr. Treves’s coat, grabbed a camera, and we’re off. Cal was the only one to have traversed it before. So he led the way, our Faithful Indian Guide, Sherman, followed by Doug and me and Tex and last, but not least, Andy and Kathy. Andy was a bit inebriated.

By the time we got to the top he was sober and spent the rest of the journey talking to CosRay Doug.

It’s not an easy climb. But it’s not that difficult, either. We passed one of Katsu’s seismograph sensors and made a big hassle on his graph. It took us forty-four minutes to get from the sensor to the top and back to the sensor. That includes numerous top-time for picture taking, view admiring, and discussion of hang gliding, helo flying, and helo destinations.

Andy was looking for magmazoans in the sandstone. We haven’t had this good of one since Dan Toullious left.

On the way down I followed Kathy. She slipped once and I slid to a stop behind her. She said for me to go on ahead because she didn’t like people following her because she didn’t like going downhill too well. I said I wouldn’t follow her, but refused to go in front of her.

She said something like, “Honestly, Sam McCormick, sometimes I don’t know what to think about you.” She wasn’t mad, this time.

At least she knows my last name.

Doug polished his rock. We all went to mid-rats and to sleep.

No comments: