Tuesday, September 12, 2006

November 27, 1975: Thursday. Thanksgiving Day.

Got up at nine. Went up to the lab. No one was there, so I didn’t worry about being late. Dr. Treves and Cal brought in a table and sorted out Turtle Rock rocks. Cal offered some entirely kaersutite rock, but I don’t like to take anything I didn’t collect myself.

Dr. Treves says that after we get the core boxed we’ll go back out, plus all over the place by helo.

I photo copy the drill log in triplicate, the three previous years in duplicate, and the field log in triplicate. I keep a copy of it. Listening to the radio. They have a real D.J., now. Gives the weather and everything.

I always eat too much on Thanksgiving Day.

I guess Nebraska turned down a bid to the Fiesta Bowl. Orange Bowl or Nothing. It’s not oranges, so the biggest draw in college football is denied, by petty bowl officials who snub the Big 8 and choose unranked Georgia for the Cotton Bowl and thrice beaten Penn State for the Sugar Bowl. Bear Bryant accepted the Sugar Bowl with the expressed agreement that he not play any Big 8 team. Ol’ Chicken Hearted strikes again.

I got a letter from Mom some time ago, but have been too busy to answer it until tonight.

Went to talk to Henry. He said, “Gobble, gobble, gobble.”

Cal got the x-ray machine going. We did quartz, phillipsite from the volcano at Gneiss Point, and kaersutite from Turtle Rock. I was shown how to interpret the data. I sort of knew how before, but now I know better.

I called in a request for “Rock On,” for the Earth Science Lab, you know. They didn’t have David Essex, so they played one by T-Rex.

Two guys that wintered over from the Pole came up for noodles. One was from Lyman.

No comments: