Friday, January 14, 2011

Scene II. California. a Psychiatrist’s Office.

[Enter Burglar, in darkness.]
Burglar. Dear me, a thousand files. ‘Twill take
an hour to find the one I need.
[He produces a flashlight. He whistles.]
‘Tis a pleasant job, soft carpet, padded couch.
Methinks I be lucky to work for the government.
Ah, here it is. The Ellsberg file, an easy mark 5
for such an experienced burglar as me.
Thank heaven for the administration
that needs such men as I to steal
National Security matters from unwary doctors.
[He whistles, again.]
Ho, I wonder if my wife’s file is here? 10
Alas, she’s too insane to have a well kept file.
Oh, see, the sun breaks from across the mountains.
‘Tis time to leave and return this psychotic file
to my chief so he might use it against the traitor Ellsberg.
[Exit.]
[Enter a Psychiatrist.]
Psychiatrist. ‘Tis too such a lovely morning for the news 15
I read. What a headline. Here within
my morning paper I read of the arrest
of my noble patient. Oh, Daniel Ellsberg!
At it again, eh? Stealing top secret papers.
Shame on you, Daniel. You need more care 20
than I can give you.
[Exit.]

No comments: