Monday, January 10, 2011

Scene VI. Key Biscayne, in Florida.

[Enter Richard, John Dean, John Ehrlichman, H.R. Haldeman, a Doctor, and Secret Service Agents.]
Doctor. Yes, I have ordered you south to
receive full benefit of the sunshine.
You need a rest. These Watergate matters
trouble you. Go, peaceably about your
work and forget that Hotel and all its 5
dark connections. Get plenty of rest, drink
lots of liquids, and take two aspirin.
Richard. Thanks for your advice. I need it most dearly.
[Exit Doctor.]
In all and all of time that’s been
great Universe has never seemed so black. 10
As if a hundred thousand stars had fallen
and left the sky a blank and dreary bowl.
The moonless night is less occluded than
the dismal abyss I inhabit now.
I’ve done nothing wrong. Not connived to thwart 15
due justice. Not ordered illegal schemes.
Have I, boys, received campaign contributions
from illicit sources? Yet every day
the papers are full of new, fabulous
stories that smear my name with false and 20
uncorroborated accusations.
[Enter Pat.]
What have I done to deserve such fate?
Come in, sweet wife, and soothe me.
Pat. Ah, poor hubby, the Senate has formed
a Committee Select to investigate 25
this last election and called before
it these three men to testify.
Richard. What’s this? Well go, send for Ziegler. I’ll
make a statement! Facts before a committee
sting less than innuendoes in the press. 30
This news, I think, might be good.
[Exeunt Richard, Pat, and Secret Service Agents.]
Dean. Methinks our good fortune runs dry. They’re hot
on our trail and now we’re to testify
before the Senate. Any fool knows those
Congressmen are relentless in their 35
questioning. We’re doomed! They’ll discover our
irregularities. All is lost!
Haldeman. But John, we’ve done no wrong, no illegal
acts. Conspired no cover-ups. The Boss says so!
Dean. How can you and Ehrlichman stand there with 40
face so blank and unmoved? If you can say
to me, straight-faced, that you’re not involved,
who will be able to unseat your sly
and false hid front. O Treachery!
Ehrlichman. Again, I affirm, we’ve done nothing. Any 45
questions so put to us, we’ll maintain
our innocence and blame these nasty deeds
on other folk.
Dean. Ho! How can this be? We’ve covered up.
I am a party to conspiracy 50
and know full well that you are equal in
the deed. How will we withstand tough questions?
Haldeman. We’ll do it calmly, before the Senate,
and maintain our innocence.
[Exeunt Haldeman and Ehrlichman.]
Dean. No! I will not. Yes, I will tell the truth. 55
I’ll turn state’s evidence on them, the liars.
I’ll not perjure myself on the alter
of smug self-righteousness.
[Exit.]

No comments: