Saturday, January 01, 2011

Scene II. Washington, D.C. a news room.

[Enter Walter Cronkite and John Chancellor.]
Chancellor. They say it’ll be a Constitutional
confrontation unprecedented.
Cronkite. ‘Twill be interesting, no doubt. But, here it is.
The courts have ordered him to turn over the tapes.
Chancellor. I do not understand the man. He has 5
complied quite completely in giving to
the Grand Jury his notes, schedules, and
even some tapes. Yet, he withholds the most
important conversations.
Cronkite. No wonder his popularity slips. 10
Dr. Gallup’s poll is at an all time
low. I say the man’s in trouble.
[Enter Howard K. Smith.]
Smith. Oh, you won’t believe this!
Cronkite. I’m all worn out from surprises. I’ll believe it.
Smith. This is incredible. One of the tapes 15
that Nixon had already turned over,
one that Judge Sirrica was reviewing,
to see if any parts were not meant for
the Grand Jury to hear, well, when it got
to the most important part of the 20
conversation, the tape started buzzing.
And for eighteen minutes, not one word
was heard. The tape, the most important part, wiped out.
Chancellor. I smell a fish.
Cronkite. ‘Tis not Kosher. This smacks of wrong doing. 25
This, indeed, is Obstruction of Justice.
[Enter Eric Severied.]
It’ll be the last straw.
Severied. You’re right on that. The House Judiciary
Committee has just been charged to look into
the possible impeachment of 30
the President. A momentous decision.
Cronkite. Indeed.
[Enter Rosemary Woods.]
Rosemary. I confess. I did it. I erased the tape.
Cronkite. What, ho?
Chancellor. Slow down, dear lady. Who are you? 35
And why do you confess to so heinous a crime?
Rosemary. I am Rosemary Woods, Secretary
to the President. And I come forward
to clear up this mess. I erased the tape,
accidentally, by holding down 40
the pedal, unconsciously, whilst I
answered the phone.
Smith. A plausible story.
[Enter Experts to the Courts.]
1st Expert. ‘Tis a lie. We’ve examined the tapes and
find that her story holds no water. 45
The tape was erased by repeated
attempts at various times.
[Enter Experts to the President.]
2nd Expert. ‘Tis a lie. We disagree. As hired
by the President to check on these
other experts, we find that it is 50
highly likely that it was
an equipment malfunction.
Cronkite. The times we live in are complicated
beyond recall. It is us, in the press,
who must sort through all this and bring out 55
the truth. But what are we to do when two
groups, both with experts, come forth with two sets
of information. Which is true and which
is false? As discriminating men of
the press, we must support one view or the 60
other. For one is true; the other false.
But mark my words, whichever side we choose,
those opposed will shout, “Bias!” I shake my head,
these times are too confusing for me.
[Exeunt.]

No comments: